Join us for a weekend of adventure celebrating The Grand Panorama of a Whaling Voyage ‘Round the World. This 1,275-foot-long painting, painted by Benjamin Russell and Caleb Purrington in 1848, is being shown in sections in an exhibition at Mystic Seaport Museum, and depicts in fascinating detail the voyage of a whaleship on its journey around the globe.
Partake in a full weekend of special programming and hands-on activities for kids and adults celebrating the cultures, food, music, and journeys of The Grand Panorama. From the Azores to West Africa, and Brazil to Hawaii, this Labor Day weekend at the Museum will be one you won’t want to miss!
Some highlights include:
- Take your taste buds on a trip around the world with Dominican, Nigerian, & Peruvian food trucks, among others! (11 a.m.-6 p.m. each day)
- Musical Performances
- Hear amazing stories from a panel of sailors who have circumnavigated the world.
- Dive deeper into the subject matter with a Panorama lecture
- See the stars of the Panorama in our Planetarium
- Brush up on your nautical fiction with our theatrical production, “Moby-Dick in Minutes”
- Younger visitors can enjoy crafts in our Home Port activity center
- Go on a Panorama scavenger hunt
- Check out wood carving demonstrations by guest artists
- Get creative with your own chalk panorama
All events and activities are included in Museum admission. Connecticut children and one accompanying adult are Free with Connecticut’s Summer at the Museum program all weekend.