Thank you for your interest in Mystic Seaport Museum. The Communications Department is the primary point of contact for all media requests. We are here to assist you and will do our best to accommodate your media needs regarding the Museum. If you are a member of the media and would like to be added to our distribution list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visitors to Mystic Seaport Museum are welcome to take photographs for non-commercial, personal use only (Please refer to our Photography Policy for additional information). Members of the media require permission to shoot photographs or record video on our grounds. We do not permit drones to be flown from our property.
If you are considering Mystic Seaport Museum as a location for a film, video, photo or commercial production, please read our location production guidelines and contact Mary Anne Stets at 860.572.5362 or email@example.com for additional information.
Mystic Seaport Museum Announces Low Carbon Transformation and Climate Action Initiative Mystic, Conn. (July 28, 2023) – Mystic Seaport Museum is excited to announce its
Celebrate 85th Birthday of Fireboat FIRE FIGHTER Mystic, Conn. (July 25, 2023) – Mystic Seaport Museum, in partnership with Mystic Fire Department and Fireboat Fire
Experience an Unforgettable Summer at Mystic Seaport Museum! Mystic, Conn. (June 7, 2023) – Mystic Seaport Museum is thrilled to announce an incredible lineup of
Visitors to Mystic Seaport Museum are welcome to take photographs for non-commercial, personal use only unless otherwise posted. The use of tripods, monopods, or selfie sticks on vessels or exhibits is prohibited, as is the use of drones.
Individual artists are also welcome at Mystic Seaport Museum. As is the case with visitors who take photos for personal use, sketch artists and painters may create work for their personal and non-commercial use only.
Photography and Art Clubs
Photography and art clubs are welcome to come to Mystic Seaport Museum with prior arrangement. As with regular visitors, club members can photograph or create work for their personal and non-commercial use only. The club or organization will be asked to sign a waiver acknowledging this limited use prior to arrival on the grounds. Interested clubs should send an email inquiry with details of their intended activity to firstname.lastname@example.org/.
News media and other professional photographers are not allowed to shoot on the grounds or in the exhibits without prior approval from the Communications Department and are not allowed on the grounds unaccompanied. Please email email@example.com/ for more information.
The privilege to shoot photographs on Mystic Seaport Museum grounds for individuals or groups who wish to commemorate a special occasion such as a graduation or reunion is granted on a case-by-case basis under the following terms: (Please see the note below concerning wedding photography.)
- Requests should be made in advance to the Visitors Services Department.
- Regular admission rates will apply for the photographer and subjects.
- Photography must take place during regular business hours. This period includes the hour after exhibits close, when the grounds are still open to visitors.
- The shoot is to last no longer than one hour.
- Photography may not take place inside exhibits or on board any of the vessels, including the gangways. All efforts should be taken not to disturb the experience of other visitors. Mystic Seaport visitors have first priority, and should not be disrupted in their enjoyment of the Museum.
- Permission to shoot photography is granted for personal use only. No commercial use is to be made of photos or videos taken by any of the parties.
- No operation of a drone is allowed on/above Mystic Seaport Museum grounds.
- Photography may not begin until a signed release form is executed by the participant(s) and the photographer. (Download the Form)
- Violation of these terms is determined at the discretion of Mystic Seaport staff members and violators can be asked to leave the grounds immediately.
Wedding photography is limited to parties holding their ceremony or reception at Mystic Seaport Museum through our partner Coastal Gourmet. To inquire about holding your wedding at Mystic Seaport, please click here to email Coastal Gourmet with your event details or call their special events team at 860.572.5305.
Professional Location Services
If you are considering Mystic Seaport Museum as a location for a commercial film, video, or photo production, please read our location production guidelines and contact Dan McFadden at firstname.lastname@example.org/ or 860.572.5317for additional information.
Policy revised December 2019.
Your next location for film/video/photo and commercial productions.
Thank you for considering Mystic Seaport as a location. Mystic Seaport is a location that features historic tall ships and buildings, a waterfront village, and a working shipyard. In addition, we’re a resource for resident experts in maritime history, including a world-class research library with impressive collections of historic documents and visuals, and skilled craftsmen and shipbuilders.
Additional materials and resources are available to meet your production needs. For an additional fee, we offer 1870s-focused costumes, boat rentals, and limited props. Our first priority is the visitor. We recommend a site visit prior to production in order to be sure all needs and expectations can be met. The Museum is open year-round and while projects may be possible in any season, the size and scope of the project will affect how and when we can accommodate your work.