labaree house

This stucco house was built around 1900 for managers for the Rossie Velvet Company. The Museum purchased the building in 1968 and turned it into office space. It was originally named Dickerman House for Marion Dickerman, a noted educator and friend of Eleanor Roosevelt, who served as the Museum’s director of educational programming from 1946 to 1962. The building was later renamed Labaree House for Benjamin Woods Labaree, a leading historian of American colonial history and American maritime history, who served as dean of Williams College from 1963 until 1967. The building currently houses Williams-Mystic, The Coastal and Ocean Studies Program Of Williams College and Mystic Seaport Museum.