MYSTIC — Happy birthday to Jacques Cousteau!
The ocean explorer would have been 104 today. To honor the man and celebrate his work, those on board the Charles W. Morgan donned his iconic watch cap today.
Cousteau was a French naval officer, explorer, filmmaker, innovator, scientist, photographer, author, and researcher who studied the sea and all forms of life in water. He made an indelible impression of the importance of protecting our planet and its oceans.
Through his 120 documentaries and 50 books, the man made a lasting impact that still endures today.
The captain’s red watch cap symbolizes his success as a personality that paved the way for generations to care about the oceans. Mystic Seaport’s partner in the Morgan‘s 38th Voyage, NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuaries, encourages everyone to put on the cap and take a pledge to help protect our oceans by doing the following:
- Recycle used motor oil
- Put garbage and recyclables in their proper place
- Carry and use non-disposal bags
- Use reusable coffee cups and water bottles when possible
- Volunteer for community and coastal clean-ups
- Respect vulnerable marine life
- Conserve water and use it responsibly
- Make smart seafood choices
- Learn more about the ocean and how it impacts your life everyday
- Tell 10 people you made the pledge and encourage them to do the same
Will you take the pledge?