The Maritime Gallery at Mystic Seaport is proud to present the 34th Annual International Marine Art Exhibition and Sale. Open now through December 31, the exhibition is the most comprehensive collection of contemporary marine art in the United States. More than 100 examples of recent work from award-winning artists are on display, including exceptional paintings, sculpture, scrimshaw, and ship models. The show is a commemoration of America’s maritime heritage with both intricately researched historical scenes and contemporary images that document the relationship of man to the sea.
“The Annual International Marine Art Exhibition is such a unique event for both artists and art lovers,” said Jeanne Potter, director of the Maritime Gallery at Mystic Seaport. “Not only is the maritime art on view of such high quality representing the most talented marine artists from around the world working today, but it also gives the public, and especially collectors, the opportunity to view and purchase these works in such a beautiful gallery on the Mystic River.”
Participating artists include Patrick O’Brien, Yoko Gaydos, Geoff Hunt, Russ Kramer, Robert Lagasse, Victor Mays, and Kim Shaklee.
Awards of excellence and prestigious-named awards–including the Rudolph J. Schaefer Maritime Heritage Award, which recognizes the work that best documents our maritime heritage for future generations–were awarded at a black-tie awards dinner on September 22. Judges for this year’s show were Elizabeth Goddard, executive director of the Newport Art Museum and Stuart Parnes, director of Connecticut Humanities and the former director of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum and Connecticut River Museum.The awards and honorees are as follows:
- Rudolph J. Schaefer Maritime Heritage Award – Walfun Luey “Departure”
- Rudolph J. Schaefer III Emerging Artist Award — Paul Beebe “Schooner Passing Gay Head”
- Stobart Foundation Award — Robert Noreika “Seaside Café”
- Maritime Gallery Yachting Award — Russ Kramer “Last But Not Least, J-Boat WHIRLWIND, 1930”
- Marine Environmental Wildlife Award — Terry Miller “Paradise Cove”
- Thomas M. Hoyne III Award — David W. Smith “Dory Mates”
- The Thomas Wells Award — John Tayson “The White Ship”
- Museum Purchase Award — Steven Lush “East-West”
- Award of Excellence — Jeff Weaver “Boatyard Office”
- Award of Excellence — Ronald Tinney “Quietly Passing”
- Award of Excellence — David Bareford “Outbound”
- Award of Excellence — Neal Hughes “Restless Rising”
- Award of Excellence — Patrick O’ Brien “USS CONSTELLATION On Patrol”
All works in the exhibition are available to view and purchase daily between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. The show can also be viewed online. Every purchase of artwork helps to support the maritime preservation work performed by Mystic Seaport.