george greenman house

This house was built in 1839 for George and Abigail Greenman. George was the oldest of the three brothers who founded the George Greenman & Co. Shipyard. The three brothers lived here until Clark and Thomas built their houses in 1841 and 1842. It was built in the Greek Revival style then prevalent in the U.S. The cast-iron fence was put up about 1866, and the porches and ornate decorations were added to the house in the 1870s. In style and paint color, the house now looks the way it did around 1900. The Museum purchased the house from George Greenman’s great-granddaughter in 1970.